Thursday, September 13, 2007

Recommended Reading Material

Trusting God, Even When Life Hurts, by Jerry Bridges--

When an unexpected event occurs people wonder: Where is God in all this? Has He created the world and then left us to deal with things on our own? If God is a God of love how could He allow such a calamity? Bridges hits on all these questions in this book. Three essential truths about God are important to know if we are going to trust Him in adversity. They are: 1) God is completely sovereign 2) God is infinite in wisdom 3) God is perfect in love. "God in His love always wills what is best for us. In His wisdom He always knows what is best and in His sovereignty He has the power to bring it about." Bridges is able to explain these spiritual truths to the reader, using God's Word, and by giving examples from his own life and others. When things are going smoothly it's easy to say, "I trust the Lord", but when the test comes will I still say, "I trust You, Lord" and believe that His ways are right and good for me? My prayer is that all His children will hold fast to Him who is always faithful. Jerry Bridges has a way with words that conveys God's truth powerfully and will fill you up so that you will have strength when you need it.


Though the fig tree may not blossom, nor fruit be on the vines;
Though the labor of the olive may fail, and the fields produce no food;
Though the flock may be cut off from the fold, and there be no herd in the stalls,
Yet I will rejoice in the Lord, I will joy in the God of my salvation.
The Lord God is my strength; He will make my feet like deer's feet, and He will
make me walk on my high hills.
Habbakkuk 3:17-19

-Peggy-

No comments: