Friday, March 27, 2009

Pride and Prejudice

The way I got hooked on Austen was through Pride and Prejudice. My sister-in-law had been telling us all about it and encouraging me to read it until I finally decided to try it and see what all the fuss was about. :) Needless to say I got hooked!

Pride and Prejudice is the story of the Bennet sisters. The story opens on the exciting news that a new bachelor is in town and Mrs. Bennet is "thinking of his marrying one of them [the sisters]." Unfortunately things do not go quite according to Mrs. Bennet's plan, at first.

The said bachelor is a Mr. Bingley who brings with him his two sisters, brother-in-law, and a friend named Mr. Darcy. My first thought of Darcy was that he was a creep and a villain, but soon my opinion was changed. I won't say how, you'll have to read this story for yourself! We are at first only interested in Jane Bennet (the oldest sister) and her prospects for a husband but gradually the story shifts to Elizabeth Bennet and her prospects.

The main character is Elizabeth Bennet and we see the actions of others through her eyes, and only perceive what is happening by what Elizabeth knows. She believes herself capable of understanding and interpreting people and events and if she doesn't, then she just attempts to laugh off her mistakes for "Follies and nonsense , whims and inconsistencies , do divert me, I own, and I laugh at them whenever I can."

Another character I have to mention is Mr. Collins. He is the prime example in this book of Austen's witty style. Collins is a clergymen and the Bennet girls' cousin, and as such "I feel it my duty to promote and establish the blessing of peace in all families within the reach of my influence; and on these grounds I flatter myself that my present overtures of good will are highly commendable, and that the circumstance of my being in the entail of Longbourn estate will be kindly overlooked on your side, and not lead you to reject the offered olive branch." As it can be seen, Collins is full of himself which makes it all the more entertaining when he receives the talking to that he deserves.

The fun comes in conversation between characters. It shows how wrong some people can be when they are holding onto their pride, or are prejudiced. In the end we get to laugh right along with Elizabeth and not only at others, but at herself as well.

No comments: