Sunday, July 5, 2009

Me, Homeschool My Children?!

Thirty years ago, if someone would have said that in the future I would homeschool my children, I would have looked at them like they were crazy. At that time my husband and I were thoroughly steeped in the mindset of the public school system, which we attended into our college years. But the Lord, who is always at work, changed our thinking. He reminded us, as young parents, of the awesome responsibility we had to raise our children for Him, which meant taking every opportunity to show our children how to fear the Lord and obey His commands. We realized that if we sent our children off to school then many occasions would be missed to do just that. Homeschooling our children was the answer. What I didn't realize was how much God would teach me.

There have been times when I have wondered if I was doing enough for my children, especially when I look at the curriculum catalogs and all those wonderful books cry out saying, "your children need these, buy me!" I think about the times I don't have a clue what I am doing- the failed Science experiments- "Mom, what's it supposed to do?"... or having to look up the answers in the book again-"I should know that answer!"... also sitting on the nice comfy couch after lunch and falling asleep while reading books for wide-awake eyes- "Mom, wake up!" How humbling! Why in the world would I homeschool?! I am not trained to do this! Yes, you are! If you are a child of the King He is in the process of teaching you and He can use you to teach your children! Oh, that's right! I'm thankful for the people God has brought into my life to model for me or recommend good books. Also they have been models of Christ's love to my children. That's the beauty of the Church! Have I done enough in teaching my children? Most assuredly not, but God has promised to be a God to my husband and me and also to our children. Graciously, He takes our imperfect attempts at teaching and makes them better, of which I am very thankful!

The Lord is my patient, merciful heavenly Father teaching me and molding me. He uses my children to do His work. As much as I like to say that I teach my children, the reverse is certain—they definitely teach me. Notably, the Scriptures say that I must become like a child to enter the kingdom of heaven. What better way to learn this fundamental truth than by spending time with the children God has given me? It has been a joy to learn, or relearn, many truths about God’s world with my children and I know there is even more learning ahead of me. I am thankful for the Lord’s leading us and His sanctifying work along the way. Although home schooling might not be suitable for every family, I can say, after 23 years, it has been a tremendous blessing for me.

No comments: