Thursday, November 6, 2008

The Bible, God's Sovereignty, and the election


Last time I gave you a little taste of what my research paper, for my college class, was about. Well, this time I'm going to go a little farther and share a part of it with you dealing with the character of God.

To understand the inspiration of the Bible we need to understand the character of God. In God's words, J.I. Packer says "the core of the Bible is its story of God speaking to men" (p. 19). God is speaking to us through His word. Obviously, God is bigger and greater than we are, which points out God’s holiness. Later Packer goes on to say that "This is the deepest reason why the Biblical writings are 'holy' … because the Holy God is their author" (God's Words, p. 34). Because God is holy, He is incapable of inspiring falsehood which shows He is most reliable. Unfortunately, not everyone today has a high enough view of God's holiness to follow or take seriously His commands. God can be trusted above and beyond men. As the Bible says, "If we receive the witness of men, the witness of God is greater; for the witness of God is this, that He has borne witness concerning His Son" (1 John 5: 9). Knowledge of the character of God is important because it shows us that anything from God is reliable and accurate.

Now, yesterday I finished my paper and submitted my work for my first class. I was really happy and excited, and decided to start reading the introduction of my first book for my next class. This was "The Sovereignty of God" by A.W. Pink. From what I had already been studying and from what I read last night I began to see how I could apply these things today. First here is what Pink had to say:

"Who is regulating the affairs on this earth today-God or the Devil? What saith the scriptures? Ere we consider the direct reply to this query, let it be said that, the scriptures predicted just what we now see and hear.... Our is peculiarly an age of irreverence, and as the consequence, the the spirit of lawlessness, which brooks no restraint and which is desirous of casting off everything which interferes with the free course of self-will, is rapidly engulfing the earth like some giant tidal wave.... What saith the scriptures? If we believe their plain and positive declarations, no room is left uncertainty. They affirm, again and again, that God is on the throne of the universe; that the sceptre is in His hands; that He is directing all things "after the counsel of His own will".... It is in view of what we have briefly referred to above, that we say, Present-day conditions call loudly for a new examination and new presentation of God's omnipotence, God's sufficiency, God's sovereignty. From every pulpit in the land it needs to be thundered forth that God still lives, that God still observes, that God still reigns... Without a doubt a world crises is at hand, and everywhere men are alarmed. But God is not! He is never taken by surprise...'All things' are subject to His immediate control: 'all things' are moving in accord with His eternal purpose, and therefore, 'all things' are "working together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to His purpose."

I could go on. :-) But I won't. What comes to your mind, reading what Pink said? How could you apply it to today? I believe one of the best ways is through the election which just took place. Let that sink in. Some of us were very happy about how the election went and some of us were very disappointed. With both sides of this issue, though, this fact can be applied. God is still God. He is still watching you and knows the events of this world better than we ourselves do. After this was brought to my mind, I just sat back and felt an immense relief! I don't need to worry about what changes will be coming, God will take care of them and of me. We also can't place our trust in anyone but God. I'm sorry, but no mere man is going to save our country and restore our version of peace. I hope this fact has been impressed upon you. We are not in control of events, but God is, and we can rely on Him to accomplish what is best for our lives.

2 comments:

SWTrigal said...

God works through man and I feel our President is someone God can direct and move to bring our country closer to peace. Not the man, but his message to inspire others just as God has used men in the past..
Obviously, I am one who is happy with the election outcome.
Good for you and starting college!!
Love, Aunt Debi :)

The Goode Wife said...

Hey Aunt Debi! Thanks for the comment. Yes, I'm really enjoying my classes. I want to say something about peace for a minute. You'll notice that I used "our version of peace." I don't believe that we always have the same version of peace as God does. Isaiah 32:17 says, "the work of righteousness will be peace, and the effect of righteousness, quietness and assurance forever." Now I think you are right in saying that God will use the man we just elected. But, will that man do "the work of righteous?" Will he do what God has laid down in His Word? If he doesn't than I don't believe we will have perfect peace. God will still be in control, but we will have to rely on Him (God) to bring us peace. When we are putting our trust in God and relying on Him I believe we will always have lasting peace which can only come from Him.

So, just some thoughts and things to think about. ;) Love you!