Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Cherry Picking Time



This is a view as I pick Bing cherries in our backyard. That beautiful fruit just waiting for me to pick it. I sometimes feel like a bird as I stand up as high as I can on the ladder pushing or pulling the branches away to reach up to the most ripe cherries which are way up there. I hate to look up too far for fear that I will try to reach up too high and lose my footing. It is tempting because there are so many nice, ripe, juicy-looking cherries at the very top of the tree. I try to comfort myself by saying that the birds can enjoy eating them. I think to myself that maybe the fruit that Eve was not to eat were Bing cherries, then I can relate to the fact that she couldn't keep her hands off of them. I love picking, but especially love eating them! It brings back memories of our family in the summer traveling from Ohio to Silver Lake in Michigan. We would go to one of the roadside stands and buy Bing cherries. Then my sisters and I, when we weren't swimming or water skiing in the lake, would sit around a table playing cards, eating cherries and spitting the seeds in a bowl. Ah...those were the days...not a care in the world!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love those cherries too!!! And it ALWAYS reminds me of Silver Lake! :-)
Love, Molly